26 January 2012

Mirror Collage DIY


I was recently shopping online at Anthropologie, going through their amazing furniture when I stumbled upon an amazing $698 mirror collage.


Not being able to afford this, a DIY project started brewing in my head. I recently tested out mirror spray paint to make faux-mercury glass mason jars and had the idea that I could turn regular frames into mirrors. I then made a trip to a Potter's House Thrift Store in Fayetteville, AR and found a plethora of $1 wood frames that could be used.









My first step was to find an assortment of frames that could all fit together.












Once those were purchased for a whopping $7, my next step was to pick out a color to spray paint all of the frames. In my case I picked a glossy, clay red to go with other things that I have in my apartment. If you want the same look as Anthropologie's, you can get different metallic spray paints to make an eclectic collage. I had some leftover metallic 'Looking Glass' paint that you will need and can purchase at any art supplies store. i.e., Hobby Lobby, JoAnns or online.




Once you have the paints purchased, you will want to spray the <back side> of the glass in the frames. Give it a good 5 coats, letting it dry in between each coat to give it an opaque mirror-like reflection. Once that and the frame is dry, you are good to move on to the next step which is to figure out your arrangement. Once that is decided, <hardest part for me> you can then glue the frames together with hot glue or wood glue. 

Total cost for project: $24 <vs> Anthropologie: $698


No comments:

Post a Comment